Buying a New Computer

With technology changing every day it's hard to know what you need and what is just extra. Buying a new computer is a decision that can make you happy or bitter because you'll likely be using it for a number of years. When buying a computer keep in mind the following items which I've placed in order of priority: RAM, Processor, Name Brand, and Hard Drive.

RAM
, otherwise known as "memory", comes in as the number one factor in my eyes. This is the muscle of the computer. Anything running in the computer uses up RAM which is restored as soon as it's done running. If you don't have enough RAM you might only be able to run one or two little programs at time. Common problems due to a small amount of RAM are having very slow computer or having hardware stop working all together.

Most new computers come with Windows Vista on them these days. Vista uses a good amount of memory (RAM) to function properly so I would suggest getting one with 2 GB of RAM. You can always order more RAM and install it yourself later if needed or if the computer you want only comes with 1 GB. It is not too difficult (I will post another blog later on installing RAM).

Processor finds itself at number two of my importance list because it is the brains of your computer. It organizes how the information is run and works with the RAM to help your computer function at a good speed and accomplish everything you're trying to do. This is not an easy thing to replace in the computer so it's best to just get a good one right off the bat.

Dual-Core is a must and should be the minimum for your processor. Core 2 Duo is the newest Dual-Core processor. It will exceed your expectations but will cost you a little more than the other Dual-Core processors. Pentium 4 are now out of date. Intel and AMD both make fine processors.

Name Brand is something that could take a little research. There is not one brand that is the best. My favorite brand is Toshiba and that is all I buy but there are other kinds that work wonderfully. Many people buy brands such as Dell, Acer, HP, and Compaq. My suggestion to you would be to look for the best deal and then Google reviews on that name brand and model to find out how other people have enjoyed the products.

Hard Drive is important but will not play a major role in how your computer functions (unless it's 100% full). Many people confuse the size of their hard drive with the memory (RAM). I often hear people say that if they put too much stuff on their hard drive it will slow down their computer. This is not true. The main things that slows down your computer are the programs that are continuously running. I will talk about speeding up your computer in another post.

The very smallest hard drive I've seen recently in stores is 60 GB. That is not too bad unless you're planning on putting on a lot of music, videos, or pictures. If you have a lot of stuff to store there are a number of options. You can get a 250 GB hard drive in your computer for a little more. I chose to get an 80 GB hard drive in my laptop and then I bought a small portable (external) hard drive that holds 500 GB. It only cost me $120 on sale (one year ago). This external drive allows me to put stuff from my different computers in one spot easily and I never have to worry about running out of room. If my computer ever has a major meltdown I'll still have all my stuff on me external hard drive. I can hook it to any computer via usb. Most people could never fill up a 250 G. Another storage option would be a website such as www.adrive.com. This website allows you to store up to 50 GB of stuff for free.


Summary

Processor
Recommended: Dual Core
Best: Core 2 Duo

RAM
Windows XP
Min: 512 MB
Recommended: 1 GB
Max: 2 GB

Windows Vista
Min: 2 GB
Recommended: 2 GB
Max: 3 GB

Name Brand
Min: Dell, Acer, HP, or Compaq
Recommended: Toshiba, Sony

Hard Drive
Min: 60 GIG
Recommended: Average size plus external hard drive
Max: 250 GIG (most likely won't need more)

Each time I make a purchase I search out the best deal but almost every time I end up back at Circuit City. You can order online or go in store. They have the best products at excellent prices. They have sales every week that you can see online. I got a very nice Toshiba laptop with Dual-Core, 1 GB RAM, and a 80 GIG hard drive on sale in September for $480! Good luck and email me if you have questions.

No comments: