Firefox Extensions

If you have Firefox already, go to Tools -> Add-ons. In the bottom right corner click on "Get Extensions". This will take you to the Firefox website to see all of what is available.

The extensions are what really take Firefox above and beyond Internet Explorer, Opera, and Safari. The power of the extensions are endless and are left up to the programming and creativity of the users. Here are some of the extensions I love and couldn't live without:

1. Adblock Plus - Have you ever been annoyed with the advertisements of scantily dressed women or irritated by the blinking health care banners while surfing the internet? Adblock simply removes all advertisements inside the web browser. Where most people have to look at those things I just enjoy the blank background color of the website where those adds are supposed to be. Click here to download it.

2. Procon Latte - Speaking of things you don't want to see; sometimes you click on a link to find out there was something on the next page you didn't want to see. It can be an unpleasant experience at times. Procon is a filter for your web browser. You can decide which pages are blocked. It has a great feature that searches the pages for key words before it loads them. If a "naughty" word is found it will give you a warning instead of loading the page. This can be overridden if needed with the master password. Another thing I love about this is that it can also search for swearing on websites and just replace those words with "****" so you can still view the website without having to read the profanities. Click here to download it.

3. Tab Mix Plus - This one gives you control of how things open when you click on them as well as how your tabs work and where you want them. There are tons of ways to tweak with this. Click here to download it.

4. Foxmarks Bookmarks Synchronizer - My wife and I both like to save websites (also know as bookmarks or favorites) we like or visit often. I actually have over 600 sites bookmarked! I know, I'm a little obsessed. I don't want to have to wonder if something I saved is on our desktop computer or on the laptop. I want everything there for easy access when I need it. Foxmarks automatically updates all your computers to have the same bookmarks. If you add it to one it adds it to the other. I can even got to www.foxmarks.com to see my bookmarks from the school computers. Click here to download it.

5. Download Statusbar - This one gives you a nicer way to download things. Instead of a separate pop-up for the things you are downloading it just shows you them at the bottom of your screen.


When they're done you can click on them or clear them from the screen. There are other wonderful downloading options you can change in the settings. Click here to download it.


There are many more than I have time to test so if you find a cool one. Let me know.

No comments: